Re: Comments on draft-niccolini-sipping-siphandover-05

Cullen,

> > Optional req:
> > Using "make before break" should minimize packet loss. The solution
> > should also try to take care of the packet reordering due to the
> > vertical handover.
> >
> I agree we need text that gets to what does make before break even
> mean from a requirements point of view so I like where you are going
> here.
>
> In my ideal world, if the handover went from transport A, to transport
> B, the end user perceived quality during the handover would be no
> worse that whichever of A or B had the worst quality around the time
> of the handover. It's not easy to translate that to crisp
> requirements. I'm bascially looking for a solution where the media on
> B is being received by the receiver before the sender stops sending on
> A.

The first mandatory requirement in the draft says:

The solution should take care of handover as fast as possible.
The goal is to provide a "seamless" handover with no perception
from the user point of view.

Is this what you are referring to, or would you like to see specific
text related to the "make before break" way of doing handover?

Cheers,
Saverio

Dr. Saverio Niccolini
Manager, Real-Time Communications Group
NEC Laboratories Europe, Network Research Division
Kurfuerstenanlage 36, D-69115 Heidelberg
Tel.     +49 (0)6221 4342-118
Fax:     +49 (0)6221 4342-155
e-mail:  saverio.niccolini@xxxxxxxxxxxx <-- !!! NEW ADDRESS !!!