Re: Comments on draft-ietf-sipping-update-pai-07

Cullen,

Thanks for your comments. See below.

[JRE] I think the use case people who proposed this had in mind was an
edge proxy authenticating the UA (which would indeed be outside its
trust domain) and then forwarding the REGISTER request with PAI to the
registrar.

> Nits.
>
> I don't recall 3325 being unclear on use of PAI in responses. It
> explicitly did not define it - there not much unclear about that.
[JRE] It definitely is unclear. It sometimes talks about SIP messages,
without saying whether these are requests or responses or both. On that
basis, it is hardly surprising that many have implemented PAI in

I should also add that there are some who are very dissatisfied with
removal of the response stuff from the present draft, and I have asked
them to provide a concrete example of how a response is authenticated
(e.g., how 3GPP does it). This issue is not closed yet!

John