V.152 Fax?; RE: First SIP Forum Fax Interoperability Workshop

Eric,

any reasons why the fax transport option Fax-over-VBDoIP according ITU-T
V.152 is out of scope of this workshop?
We do see much more deployments of V.152 vs T.38 in public VoIP NGNs.
And V.152 is also used in enterprise networks.
It's basically a matter of GoS of the IP transport network.

V.152 offers non-assured and assured transport options.

It should be also pointed out that there is a difference between "Fax
over G.711" and "Fax over V.152 with G.711 as VBD codec"! G.711 is used
as voice codec in the first option, and as VBD codec in the V.152 mode.
The particular difference relates to the (G.168) EC handling and VBD
stimuli.

The main benefits of V.152 fax vs T.38 fax are
a) significant less GW resources required in terms of DSP/CPU time &
memory ("cheaper") and
b) much simpler control/configuration parameters (thus, less inteop
issues).

Furthermore:
there is an interoperability topic concerning the peering of T.38 and
V.152 IP domains.
There is a new standard in progress for that, see Draft ITU-T
V.IP2IP-VxF "V.152 to T.38 peering / interworking"
(http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/workprog/wp_search.aspx?isn_sp=1&isn_sg=153),
because neither T.38 nor V.152 does scope the IP-to-IP scenario.

> this is a *Fax* Interoperability Workshop.

Should be:  "this is a *T.38 Fax* Interoperability Workshop. :-)

Also T.37 Fax is out of scope, right?

BR, Albrecht