Re: Is it possible to prevent a binary executable file from being read via SELinux?

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Stephen Smalley <sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No.  For example, if all processes can access all /dev nodes, then they
> can perform raw reads/writes to the block devices and thereby circumvent
> any file-based access controls entirely.  If all processes can write to
> e.g. /lib, then they can replace the dynamic linker and any shared
> libraries used by your application and get it to execute their code in
> order to dump its memory.  If they can all execute your application,
> then they can run its binary in their own memory and then dump its
> contents.
I didn't realize that saying "Allow all access" would circumvent the
normal Linux based file permissions.  I assumed that SELinux was
layered on top of those permissions.  I guess I have more to learn.

>  Please, see my original email and answer the questions there
> (which you mostly ignored) to see whether this is even a worthwhile
> exercise, and then, if so, follow the guidance for using sound DAC
> ownership and modes first, then investigate SELinux to address residual
> gaps.
ok.  That is what I have been attempting to do... one residual gap I
see with that is that a root user can make a copy of my application.
I would like to prevent that.

>> Is anything besides your application even running on the device?
yes

>> Are there other services/applications that run on the device too?
yes

>> When you say "gain access to my device", what kind of access did you have in mind?

I am assuming that somebody has managed to gain root access to my
device, possibly via a serial port, or possibly via a remote exploit
of one of the other services running on the device.  (S)He will
certainly have physical access to the device, and therefore my kernel
& rootfs will be encrypted, (and the key would be protected by the
secure boot facilities of the SoC).  But if (s)he gains root access to
the file system, I don't want him/her to be able to be able to copy my
application code off the device.

> If you want a simple, small SELinux policy to start from, I would again
> recommend the Android SELinux policy.

Very well.  I will start there and save the rest of my questions until
after I have learned more.

Thanks again for your tips and advice.

--wpd