Re: Exposing secid to secctx mapping to user-space

On 12/14/2015 05:57 PM, Roberts, William C wrote:
<snip>

If I understand correctly, the goal here is to avoid the lookup from
pid to context. If we somehow Had the context or a token to a context
during the ipc transaction to userspace, we could just use that In
computing the access decision. If that is correct, then since we have
PID, why not just extend the SE Linux compute av decision interface to support
passing of PID and then it can do the lookup in the Kernel?

That's no less racy than getpidcon().

I got a bounce from when I sent this from gmail, resending.

True, but in this case the binder transaction would be dead...

Why not just pass ctx? It's less than ideal, but it might be good enough for now until contexts get unwieldy big.

grep -rn '^type ' * | grep domain | cut -d' ' -f 2-2 | sed s/','//g | awk ' {  thislen=length($0); printf("%-5s %dn", NR, thislen); totlen+=thislen}
END { printf("average: %dn", totlen/NR); } '

The avg type length for domain types in external/sepolicy is 7. Add the full ctx:

u:r:xxxxxxx:s0(cat)

1. We're looking at like 18 or so bytes, how do we know this won't be "fast enough"?
2. What's the current perf numbers, and what's agreed upon on what you need to hit to be fast enough?
3. I'm assuming the use case is in service manager, but would a userspace cache of AVD's help? Then you can (possibly) avoid both kernel trips, and you can invalidate the cache on policy reload and on PID deaths? In the case of service manager would it always be a miss based on usage pattern? I'm assuming things would say hey resolve this once, and be done. However, you could only do the ctx lookup and do the avd based on the policy in user space, thus avoiding 1 of two trips.

1. I don't think it is the size of the context that is the concern but rather the fact that it is a variable-length string, whereas current binder commands use fixed-size arguments and encode the size in the command value (common for ioctls). Supporting passing a variable-length string would be a change to the protocol and would complicate the code. On the performance side, it means generating a context string from the secid and then copying it to userspace on each IPC (versus just getting the secid and putting that in the existing binder_transaction_data that is already copied to userspace).

2. Don't know; deferring to Daniel to run whatever binder IPC benchmarks might exist with and without the current patch that copies the context string.

3. It is for any binder-based service that wants to apply SELinux access checks, which presently includes servicemanager and keystore. We already have a userspace AVC (in libselinux) that gets used automatically when you use selinux_check_access(), but you still need to get the sender security context in some manner.