Re: Deprecating policy capabilities

On 06/14/2013 04:20 PM, Joshua Brindle wrote:
On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Stephen Smalley <sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 06/14/2013 04:03 PM, Joshua Brindle wrote:

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Paul Moore <pmoore@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just took a closer look at this and as much as I would like to require
policies to enable the netpeer capability so we could remove a bunch of
old
code, I don't think we can do this anytime soon.

The problem is that the kernel still supports old policy versions, back
v15, and the policy capability support wasn't added until policy v22.
For
obvious reasons, we can't really deprecate a policy capability (at least
not
the netpeer capability) until our minimum supported policy version is v22
or
higher.  I'm not sure that is something we can really do at this point -
thoughts?

I doubt that anyone has tested a < v22 policy on a modern system in
quite some time... I would wonder if it still works correctly. If it
hasn't been it seems like a good idea to deprecate unused, untested
configurations for stability and security. There isn't much of a
reason to use old policies on new kernels since 1) pre-existing binary
policies are unlikely to work on new distros and 2) the toolchain can
build new policies from old source.

I thought the requirement was that new kernels cannot break old userspace
(including policies), i.e. we have to be able to boot latest kernel with
ancient Fedora or RHEL and not have anything break.  RHEL4 used policy.18
IIRC.  At the moment booting a new kernel with an old distro usually works
due to a combination of handle_unknown=allow and policy capabilities not
being enabled in the old policy.

Oh right, I forgot that there are people that boot new kernels on
ancient distros. How far back does the backward support have to go?

I think the view of the kernel developers was forever; new kernel is never supposed to break old userspace. Of course there have been a few examples of that being broken by others in other subsystems, but that is frowned upon.

Even if we were to limit it to currently-supported enterprise distributions, I think we'd have to wait until RHEL-5 (policy.20?) is EOL'd. Don't know about Debian or Ubuntu LTS. Might as well be forever as we likely won't remember this conversation then.