Re: Deprecating policy capabilities (was: Clarification of labeled IPsec checks)

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Paul Moore <pmoore@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 07, 2013 09:05:30 AM Paul Moore wrote:
>> >
>> > The common case obviously is no labeling, and in that case, there wouldn't
>> > be checks.  So I suspect this wouldn't have any real problems.  My guess
>> > is systems that use this wouldn't be changing their OS very often, and
>> > when they do, it would be major jumps (e.g. RHEL6 to RHEL7), so they'd be
>> > anticipating changes like this.
>>
>> Yeah, I agree.  I'll throw together a deprecation patch and toss it out so
>> we can have a bit more of a discussion on this.
>
> I just took a closer look at this and as much as I would like to require
> policies to enable the netpeer capability so we could remove a bunch of old
> code, I don't think we can do this anytime soon.
>
> The problem is that the kernel still supports old policy versions, back to
> v15, and the policy capability support wasn't added until policy v22.  For
> obvious reasons, we can't really deprecate a policy capability (at least not
> the netpeer capability) until our minimum supported policy version is v22 or
> higher.  I'm not sure that is something we can really do at this point -
> thoughts?

I doubt that anyone has tested a < v22 policy on a modern system in
quite some time... I would wonder if it still works correctly. If it
hasn't been it seems like a good idea to deprecate unused, untested
configurations for stability and security. There isn't much of a
reason to use old policies on new kernels since 1) pre-existing binary
policies are unlikely to work on new distros and 2) the toolchain can
build new policies from old source.