Re: seandroid and policy version

Stephen Smalley wrote:
On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 13:40 -0400, Joshua Brindle wrote:
Stephen Smalley wrote:
On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 15:49 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
<snip>
So this issue has come up again in the context of implementing device
admin APIs and a sample device admin app.  The device admin API
implementation in the system_server needs to know how to name the file
it creates under /data/system for the kernel policy, but it has no way
to determine the actual policy version of the supplied policy.  So it
doesn't know what suffix to use.  Options:
- Get rid of the version suffix altogether, or at least for the sepolicy
file under /data/system.
- Have the system_server parse the header of the policy image to
determine the policy version, and use that as the suffix.

Thoughts?

Can the MDM server not provide the device admin API with the correct
filename to use? How are you feeding the policy to the API?

At the moment it is being passed directly as a byte array (similar to
security_load_policy).  Passing by pathname would require that the
system_server have read/search access to a private file created by the
device admin app, and passing by open fd would require that the device
admin app first write the policy image to local storage before passing
it to the system_server.  So passing it directly seems preferable.

I assumed byte array but is the API going to basically be "here's your policy blob" and the system_server has to figure out what to do with it? I strongly believe that we will outgrow an API like that very quickly. MDM vendors want to do some interesting things and always doing it on the server side isn't going to be feasible I think (holding >10k SELinux policies in order to update them when new containers/apps/features/whatever are added is not ideal).