Re: seandroid and policy version

Stephen Smalley wrote:
On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 20:07 -0400, Joshua Brindle wrote:
I was looking at this:
<https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/36321/4/init/init.c>

and remembered that years ago we had a discussion about the .policyver
filename syntax. I kind of get it for SELinux machines where there is
managed policy and could be multiple policies on the system but since
SEAndroid is targeting non-device managed policies, it adds extra code
to search for the right extension and you can tell what version the
policy is as soon as you open it, why not ditch the suffix?

First, that patch doesn't introduce the use of the version suffix
(that's in the already merged code); it just preserves it in the new
logic for reloading policy at runtime.

I know, it just reminded me that I wanted to mention it :)

I'm open to removing the use of the policy version suffix in a follow-on
patch, although that would need to be coordinated across sepolicy and
system/core.  But the current code is consistent with existing practice
in Linux distributions (so follows principle of least surprise) and it

From what I can tell most people doing anything with SEAndroid have never been exposed to SELinux so it probably is surprising to them that the file extension would change version to version.

allows for different versions to be installed simultaneously (thereby
supporting booting multiple kernels).  Also, we don't have libsepol on

I don't think this will ever be an issue on mobile devices (and I don't think it ever was an issue on real machines, more likely that stale policies were being enforced if there was some kernel or library change)

the device so we cannot in fact determine the version when we open it
there presently.  So I'm not convinced we should remove the suffix.

We don't need libsepol, just read the first few bytes, a la file.