Re: Missing configure script and instructions?

On 21/06/2011 23:45, David Doria wrote:

[cut]

I then I tried this:

~/src/selinux$ make PREFIX=/home/ddoria/bin

and it got farther, but eventually came to:

sed -e 's/@VERSION@/2.0.45/; s:@prefix@:/home/ddoria/bin:;
s:@libdir@:lib:; s:@includedir@:/home/ddoria/bin/include:'<
libsepol.pc.in>    libsepol.pc
test -d /home/ddoria/bin/lib || install -m 755 -d /home/ddoria/bin/lib
install -m 644 libsepol.a  /home/ddoria/bin/lib
test -d /lib || install -m 755 -d /lib
install -m 755 libsepol.so.1 /lib
install: cannot remove `/lib/libsepol.so.1': Permission denied
make[2]: *** [install] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ddoria/src/selinux/libsepol/src'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ddoria/src/selinux/libsepol'
make: *** [install] Error 1

(The same problem, trying to write to /lib which I don't have
permission to write to)

What is the difference between DESTDIR and PREFIX? Should I set them
both to /home/ddoria/bin ?
Usually they are given a different meaning. If you are not installing under
the root filesystem (as in your case), then you should be able to use
DESTDIR.

In your case:

DESTDIR=/home/ddoria
PREFIX=/

You could also try DESTDIR=/home/ddoria and the other one empty as in PREFIX=

or not setting PREFIX at all, as suggested by Stephen, although that would likely end up being set by the Makefile to /usr, which you did not appear to have under your home (from the logs I think).
provided that under your home directory you haven't got /usr.

But you should double-check everything as I do not have the Makefile handy
at the moment. I am not 100% sure that DESTDIR is supported by the Makefile
there.

In any case, you should refer to the administrator of your system. SELinux
is a security framework that integrates with the underlying operating
system, so it's not going to be used as an application that the user can
install into his/her home directory.

And because of the above it needs kernel support. If you are not the
administrator of that system, you cannot install kernel support for SELinux.

[cut]

The long story of why I am doing this is that I am am trying to build
kdevelop. To do that, I need kdelibs. To build kdelibs, I need a
"KAuth backend". I am trying to use polkit for this purpose. To build
polkit, I need libpam. To build libpam, I need SELinux. So it is not
important that SELinux "work", but rather just allow everything else
to build.

And if the system you are using is not SELinux-enabled, you won't even need to compile PAM with SELinux support.

Least but not last, if you do not have administrative privileges on that system, I doubt you'll ever get very far with then eventually running of all this on that same system. As already explained, you should probably refer to the system administrator for better chances of success in what you are trying to achieve.

I tried to 'make' SELinux with:
DESTDIR=/home/ddoria
PREFIX=/

See above.

and it complained that it could not write to //include

So then I tried with:
DESTDIR=/home/ddoria
PREFIX=/home/ddoria

and it got farther, but then said:

genhomedircon.c:37:18: error: ustr.h: No such file or directory

The fun continues...

David

Regards,

Guido