Re: Missing configure script and instructions?

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Guido Trentalancia
<iz6rdb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi David !
>
> On 21/06/2011 23:15, David Doria wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Guido Trentalancia
>> <guido@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

>>> You can just check the Makefile for very simple things such as editing
>>> the
>>> CFLAGS (compiler options) or editing the PREFIX and/or DESTDIR (I can't
>>> remember exactly now) and then just type:
>>>
>>> $ make
>>>
>>> to build
>>>
>>> $ make install
>>>
>>> to install it.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, you could pass the same variables to make as in:
>>>
>>> make CFLAGS="-g -O2 -march=corei7 -mtune=corei7"
>>>
>>> make DESTDIR=/ PREFIX=/usr install
>>>
>>> to build for example with debugging on an Intel Corei7 and install under
>>> /usr on root filesystem.

>>> configure won't be strictly needed (as there are very few simple build
>>> options). And it's not packaged strictly according to GNU guidelines, so
>>> it
>>> might not carry INSTALL, README, NEWS and friends.
>>>
>>> But in a sense you're right, one day the whole thing shall evolve towards
>>> being a little bit more conformant to GNU guidelines (and provide for
>>> example autoconf tools even if they might not appear as strictly needed
>>> but
>>> at least for consistency with the underlying world).
>>>
>>> Hope it helps.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Guido
>>>
>> Thanks Guido,
>>
>> I'm glad you agree with a transition to a more standard looking system :)
>
> Yes, it could bring advantages because at the end there are "hidden" options
> in the code (perhaps you won't understand at this stage if you've never used
> it before, but many people on this list surely know that for example
> authentication to be used for run_init must be configured by editing the
> code, therefore "hidden" especially to a first-time user).
>
> But investments are usually made on more substantial changes and
> improvements to the code...
>
>> For the moment, I tried this:
>>
>> ~/src/selinux$ make
>>
>> and got errors like this:
>>
>> install: cannot remove `/usr/include/sepol/sepol.h': Permission denied
>>
>> (NOTE: I don't have root on this machine)
>
> If you haven't got root permissions on the machine, I suppose more or less
> that is the end of the game.
>
>> I then I tried this:
>>
>> ~/src/selinux$ make PREFIX=/home/ddoria/bin
>>
>> and it got farther, but eventually came to:
>>
>> sed -e 's/@VERSION@/2.0.45/; s:@prefix@:/home/ddoria/bin:;
>> s:@libdir@:lib:; s:@includedir@:/home/ddoria/bin/include:'<
>> libsepol.pc.in>  libsepol.pc
>> test -d /home/ddoria/bin/lib || install -m 755 -d /home/ddoria/bin/lib
>> install -m 644 libsepol.a  /home/ddoria/bin/lib
>> test -d /lib || install -m 755 -d /lib
>> install -m 755 libsepol.so.1 /lib
>> install: cannot remove `/lib/libsepol.so.1': Permission denied
>> make[2]: *** [install] Error 1
> [...]

The long story of why I am doing this is that I am am trying to build
kdevelop. To do that, I need kdelibs. To build kdelibs, I need a
"KAuth backend". I am trying to use polkit for this purpose. To build
polkit, I need libpam. To build libpam, I need SELinux. So it is not
important that SELinux "work", but rather just allow everything else
to build.

I tried to 'make' SELinux with:
DESTDIR=/home/ddoria
PREFIX=/

and it complained that it could not write to //include

So then I tried with:
DESTDIR=/home/ddoria
PREFIX=/home/ddoria

and it got farther, but then said:

genhomedircon.c:37:18: error: ustr.h: No such file or directory

The fun continues...

David