Re: type bounds for files?

(2010/12/16 5:37), Michal Svoboda wrote:
> Hello,
>
> let's say I have a www service that's run through apache/selinux+ with
> its own domain say foo_t. The domain has write access to some files with
> type foo_data_t (which is files_type) through an allow rule.
>
> Now, due to the 'typebound httpd_t foo_t' rule used with apache domains,
> I would normally also have to 'allow httpd_t foo_data_t : file ...'.
>
> But today I saw another solution at work, which used an oddball rule
> where the foo_data_t was type bounded by another files_type, something
> like 'typebound http_user_data_t foo_data_t' (don't remember the
> bounding type's name exactly). This would make the www service work the
> expected way without the need for 'allow httpd_t foo_data_t : file ...'.
>
> Is this a known behavior? What is the sense in typebounding file types?

Yes, it is known. We had a similar discussion before:
  http://marc.info/?l=selinux&m=126771862818496&w=2

The type-boundary feature is originated from type-hierarchy feature
which has been supported in checkpolicy for several years.

Joshua said:
| The original hierarchy specified that if httpd_t had e.g., write access
| to httpd_sys_content_t then webapp_t could be given write access to
| webapp_content_t without httpd_t having direct access to webapp_content_t.
|
| This was done so that, in policy access controls, parents could be
| decoupled from children while still allowing child subjects to access
| child objects. One application of this was to have parents that,
| themselves, did not have access to children objects (or were not active
| at all).

It seems to me your use cases are right.
Maybe, the term of 'boundary' might make us hard to imagine this type
of functionality.

Thanks,
--
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>