type bounds for files?

Hello,

let's say I have a www service that's run through apache/selinux+ with
its own domain say foo_t. The domain has write access to some files with
type foo_data_t (which is files_type) through an allow rule.

Now, due to the 'typebound httpd_t foo_t' rule used with apache domains,
I would normally also have to 'allow httpd_t foo_data_t : file ...'.

But today I saw another solution at work, which used an oddball rule
where the foo_data_t was type bounded by another files_type, something
like 'typebound http_user_data_t foo_data_t' (don't remember the
bounding type's name exactly). This would make the www service work the
expected way without the need for 'allow httpd_t foo_data_t : file ...'.

Is this a known behavior? What is the sense in typebounding file types?

Just for completeness this was on FC12 with targeted policy.

Michal Svoboda