Re: Recent status of SE-PostgreSQL

The answer is that there have been a few iterations of "the whole nine yards" wrt MAC on Postgres. The upstream developers were never interested in reviewing a patch that large or intrusive and finally a compromise was struck to begin merging parts that are less intrusive while making improvements to the entire codebase and preparing to integrate more access control.

If you don't believe me go read both this list and the pgsql-hackers list, there should be about 2000 emails of interest.

So it may not meet your needs today, but it is a very important step and a long time coming.

cto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Casey,

The problem is you just stuck to one part of the argument and do not see the
broad picture,

I never claimed anything ( here at least ), I just asked what is the practical
purpose of SE-PostgreSQL and it had one line answer,

"creating trusted DBMS daemon", and I see that

and of course nobody claims that the SE-PostgreSQL is a done project

so one has to wait until SE-PostgreSQL reaches the point,

I told it is possible to put databases on separate systems by classification,
NOT SUCH a BIG DEAL, (while maintaining other forms of security measure
including filesystem encryption and etc.)
THIS IS ACTUALLY BEING UTILIZED as I'm aware of

and there are Trusted Daemons nobody says there is no trusted daemon,
The point is right now I think PostgreSQL is not qualified as a trusted daemon

but even right now you can use something like that in isolation, without
combining classifications

SO THIS IS MY QUESTION NOW:
I would be very glad if anybody provides any documentation that PostgreSQL is
currently treated as trusted daemon,

and thanks for your recommendation,

With all due respect to everybody especially KaiGai,

Let me clear that out, there is no objection of any kind on development of
something, but what you claimed are not available at Postgres right now, and
there are so many missing parts not just access control, and the point that it
is being acceptable as trusted system is just a goal

Best Regards,

Patrick K.