Re: Recent status of SE-PostgreSQL

On 12/9/2010 8:46 AM, cto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Joshua,
>
> > Postgres is inherently trusted with it's own objects, the kernel cannot  mitigate that.
>
> Aha that's the point, daemons cannot be trusted, in case of DBMS it must be isolated anyway, (System Security wise)

I think that we can stop right here. Patrick, you need to go read up
on the composition of trusted systems. You also need to put a little
time into learning about their history. There were almost as many
Orange Book evaluations on multi-level secure databases as there were
on operating systems. All of the evaluated operating systems, with
the possible exception of SC/MP, made heavy use of trusted daemons.
Applications that enforce system policy are an expected and important
part of any security solution.

Patrick, the evidence is against your claims. Please have a look at
the literature and come back if you have questions.

Thank you.