Re: refpolicy is missing on lots of hits with audit2allow -R.

Karl MacMillan wrote:
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Daniel J Walsh<dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
<snip>>
I would argue that

allow X etc_t:file read;
allow X configfile:file read;

Should be weighted equivalently if etc_t is a configfile or only
slightly heavier, and just because etc_runtime_t or some other random
types are configfile does not mean we need to add weight.

I'm going to weigh in here even though policy isn't normally my thing.

I am very against reducing distance based on attribute match over individual unrelated types. allow X configfile:file read should be the exact same distance as having an allow rule for every type in configfile in the interface, otherwise you have inconsistent behavior and are rewarding interfaces that are overly broad.

The reason for using sepolgen is to find the best match, not the most broad, if we wanted that we could make sepolgen 1000% less complicated and just return allow domain filetype:file *;

I suppose there is a fundamental difference in the use of the tool, the people I know that use it use it to find the best match, the way you want to use it is to fix the denial any way possible. These 2 usages conflict and we can't have people thinking they are making secure policy when in fact they aren't.