Re: Type boundaries: questions on the semantics / is the enforcement correct ?

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 22:53 -0500, Jacques Thomas wrote:

> >> I can write and submit a patch along these lines. The patch is
> >> straightforward: I just have to remove the "dead" code.
> >>

> > Note that libsepol has an option which test type-boundary violations
> > in usermode just before policy load.
> > Also check check_avtab_hierarchy_callback() in libsepol/src/hierarchy.c.
> > (It is called when )
> >
> > Historically, this code delivered from hierarchy namespace support by
> > Joshua Brindle. I'd like to ask him what about this change.
> >
> >   MEMO: The hierarchy namespace support implicitly set up type-boundary
> >         on a couple of types. For example, if we defined httpd_t.cgi type,
> >         it is implicitly bounded by httpd_t type without TYPEBOUNDS.
> >
> > I also have not seen any case example which restrict target types by
> > the hierarchy namespace support. So, it seems to me we have no matter
> > to remove the "dead" code.
> >
> > Joshua, what's your opinion?
> >

> >> However, could someone please indicate me how I am supposed to test the
> >> patch ? In other words, is there a standardized testing procedure that I
> >> am unaware of ?
> >>

> > http://ltp.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > It also contains SELinux testcases including type boundary, but it also
> > does not contains a case of type boundary on target types.

Where does this stand?  IIUC, we are going to just remove the dead code
from type_attribute_bounds_av() in the kernel and
check_avtab_hierarchy_callback() in libsepol?

With regard to the ltp, note that the last version of the ltp with a
working selinux testsuite was ltp-full-20090930.  I am still trying to
work with the ltp maintainers to fix it in cvs head, but that is still
work in progress.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency