Re: Type boundaries: questions on the semantics / is the enforcement correct ?

>>> I also think we have one other a rough option.
>>> It simply applies type boundaries on only sources to restrict its privileges,
>>> and it does not apply any restrictions on target types.
>>>

>> Unless there is a clear use for bounds on targets, I would favor this
>> option. (The "rough" one :-) )
>> I see mostly room for confusion with the bounds on target types, because
>> of the contravariance issue.
>>

> I can write and submit a patch along these lines. The patch is
> straightforward: I just have to remove the "dead" code.

Note that libsepol has an option which test type-boundary violations
in usermode just before policy load.
Also check check_avtab_hierarchy_callback() in libsepol/src/hierarchy.c.
(It is called when )

Historically, this code delivered from hierarchy namespace support by
Joshua Brindle. I'd like to ask him what about this change.

  MEMO: The hierarchy namespace support implicitly set up type-boundary
        on a couple of types. For example, if we defined httpd_t.cgi type,
        it is implicitly bounded by httpd_t type without TYPEBOUNDS.

I also have not seen any case example which restrict target types by
the hierarchy namespace support. So, it seems to me we have no matter
to remove the "dead" code.

Joshua, what's your opinion?

> However, could someone please indicate me how I am supposed to test the
> patch ? In other words, is there a standardized testing procedure that I
> am unaware of ?

http://ltp.sourceforge.net/

It also contains SELinux testcases including type boundary, but it also
does not contains a case of type boundary on target types.

Thanks,
--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>