Re: what is an object manager?!

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 10:18 +0200, Sebastian Pfaff wrote:
> hello,
>
> "Object managers are responsible for enforcing the policy decisions of
> the security server for the set
> of resources they manage. For the kernel, you can think of object
> managers as kernel subsystems that
> create and manage kernel-level objects. Examples of kernel object
> managers include the filesystem,
> process management, and System V interprocess communication (IPC). In
> the LSM architecture, the
> object managers are represented by the LSM hooks (!!!); these hooks
> are scattered throughout the kernel
> subsystems and call the SELinux LSM module for access decisions. The
> LSM hooks then enforce
> those decisions by allowing or denying access to the kernel
> resource." [1]
>
> this basically says we have dozens of object managers, since every LSM
> hook is one!
>
> but here stephen smalley wrote:
>
> An object manager gets access decisions from its AVC, which consults
> the security server when the decision isn't already cached. Meanwhile,
> if a policy change occurs, the security server needs to notify the
> AVCs of all object managers of the change so that their state can be
> updated (in simplest form, by flushing the caches). There can be any
> number of object managers. In Linux, the entire kernel is really a
> single object manager, but in earlier microkernel-based systems, there
> were separate object managers for process management, filesystems, and
> networking.
>
> http://marc.info/?l=selinux&m=115955074232032&w=2
>

> What is an object manager and who says the truth? ;)
>
> "Every LSM hook object manager" vs "1 single Object Manager"

I don't think they intended to imply that each hook was a discrete
object manager in their book.  The original terminology here comes from
the Flask paper,
http://www.nsa.gov/research/_files/selinux/papers/flask-abs.shtml

An object manager is a component that manages a set of resources and
that enforces policy decisions over those resources.  The policy
decisions are obtained from the security server.

The Linux kernel is a single object manager, although logically you can
view it as a collection of object managers (process management,
filesystem, networking, IPC) as mentioned above.  The X server is
another object manager, as is the D-BUS daemon.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency