RE: what is an object manager?!

On
> Behalf Of Stephen Smalley
> Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 7:48 AM
> To: Sebastian Pfaff
> Cc: selinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: what is an object manager?!
>
> On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 10:18 +0200, Sebastian Pfaff wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > "Object managers are responsible for enforcing the policy decisions
of
> > the security server for the set
> > of resources they manage. For the kernel, you can think of object
> > managers as kernel subsystems that
> > create and manage kernel-level objects. Examples of kernel object
> > managers include the filesystem,
> > process management, and System V interprocess communication (IPC).
In
> > the LSM architecture, the
> > object managers are represented by the LSM hooks (!!!); these hooks
> > are scattered throughout the kernel
> > subsystems and call the SELinux LSM module for access decisions. The
> > LSM hooks then enforce
> > those decisions by allowing or denying access to the kernel
> > resource." [1]
> >
> > this basically says we have dozens of object managers, since every
LSM
> > hook is one!
> >
> > but here stephen smalley wrote:
> >
> > An object manager gets access decisions from its AVC, which consults
> > the security server when the decision isn't already cached.
Meanwhile,
> > if a policy change occurs, the security server needs to notify the
> > AVCs of all object managers of the change so that their state can be
> > updated (in simplest form, by flushing the caches). There can be any
> > number of object managers. In Linux, the entire kernel is really a
> > single object manager, but in earlier microkernel-based systems,
there
> > were separate object managers for process management, filesystems,
and
> > networking.
> >
> > http://marc.info/?l=selinux&m=115955074232032&w=2
> >

> > What is an object manager and who says the truth? ;)
> >
> > "Every LSM hook object manager" vs "1 single Object Manager"
>
> I don't think they intended to imply that each hook was a discrete
> object manager in their book.  The original terminology here comes
from
> the Flask paper,
> http://www.nsa.gov/research/_files/selinux/papers/flask-abs.shtml
>
> An object manager is a component that manages a set of resources and
> that enforces policy decisions over those resources.  The policy
> decisions are obtained from the security server.
>
> The Linux kernel is a single object manager, although logically you
can
> view it as a collection of object managers (process management,
> filesystem, networking, IPC) as mentioned above.  The X server is
> another object manager, as is the D-BUS daemon.

Steve - thanks, that's an excellent clarification of what we intended in
the book. The key phrase is "For the kernel, you can _think_ of object
managers as kernel subsystems" - i.e., this is just a conceptual view
that might help understanding not a literal description.

Thanks - Karl