Re: what is an object manager?!

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 14:06 +0200, Sebastian Pfaff wrote:
> tnx for answer,
>
> ok, you're trying to tell me that a lsm hook is something similar to
> what an object manager is in FLASK architecture. But in general, all
> LSM hooks as a whole can be considered as one object manager, since in
> the monolithic linux kernel there are no different object managers.

The kernel is the object manager.  The hooks are merely the points at
which the kernel/object manager is instrumented to enforce a policy
decision.

> > Now there is one object manager and libselinux exports an interface
> > to the userspace object managers.
>
> > Stephen is referening to FLASK/FLUKE a predecessor of SELinux on
> > micrkernel architecture.
> >

> I'm not not sure, if stephen was referreing to FLASK. For me, he
> referred to the current state in linux.

I think I described both in that paragraph.

> > X server is an object manager for its own resources that it manages
> > and so is Gconf. Dbus is object manager of its IPC objects. The in
> > kernel security server is the PDP for all while the PEPs are kernel
> > object managers and the userspace object manager (some mentioned
> > earlier).
> >

> what is PDP und what is PEP(s)?

Policy decision point, policy enforcement point.  Just another
terminology for the same concepts.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency