Re: my thoughts on how Labeled NFSv4 draft should move forward

Hello,
   Pete, Steve, and I have taken in the results of the last week and a
half of discussion and have discussed the way we see things working. We
believe that the DOI usage model that you have marked as number 1 is the
one we would like to see agreed on eventually. There are several reasons
we it the first being that it allows for a much smaller DOI space than
would normally be required. By only specifying the format of the label
in the DOI it allows for implementers to easily develop systems to parse
these labels. This method also allows for a more dynamic policy at the
end points allowing for customizations to be made on a site specific
basis without having to use an external entity such as IANA. This
doesn't mean that there will be no authority to provide semantic
information on policies but rather that authority is not specified in
the DOI field. The cool part of using this method is that we can have
DOI 5 be CALIPSO formatted labels and in the opaque field we can use the
complete CALIPSO label specification DOI and all. In this case the
CALIPSO DOI would be an authority identifier to allow the system to
obtain the necessary information.

To address your first point below we believe that if the DOI space is
sufficiently small and we can define a reasonable way to specify the
label format for parsing purposes that the IETF won't mind that we have
this registry. The question here is how finely do we define the label
specification for a DOI. For example, the SELinux context can be
described as, 1) a string, 2) a colon separated string, 3) a colon
separated string where the first component is a user, the second
component is a role, the third component is a type, and there is an
optional 4th component of an MLS range. We can even go further and say
do we want to specify in some form of regex the valid forms of each
component. I think if the registry contains information like that it
will be very valuable to implementers and will be accepted.

To address your second point, most MAC systems in deployment today are
in fact MLS centric and as Casey has pointed out the problem space has
grown to be larger than just MLS. Because the methods and documents that
people have been discussing over the last couple of weeks are so
engrained with MLS we don't believe that they will generalize well to
other MAC systems such as Type Enforcement. The reason these older
methods were able to work is because the policy was statically defined.
Modern systems require the ability to provide additional policy
configuration on the end points and this dynamic nature makes it seem
unlikely that the older methods will generalize to be able to
accommodate this.

Finally to address your third point we think that it is wrong to assume
that there should be the same DOI across all levels in a system. This
assumption is very limiting to the system design because it assumes that
all levels will be concerned with all information. For example a system
may be using CALIPSO to label its network traffic but once that traffic
comes into the endpoint or is received by the other endpoint it may
translate it into a preferred internal label representation that is
completely different.

Dave