Re: Question about su

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 21:01 +0800, Dennis Wronka wrote:
> Thanks. This info helped a lot.
> So user_u is for regular users that are just supposed to do stuff with what
> the system offers. Anything else, like installing stuff is loaded off to users
> that are at least staff_u or above.
>
> It's something one has to get used to, especially the part of newrole-ing
> first and afterwards using su.

In Fedora (targeted policy) we use sudo to transition to root and
privileged user domains. This has the advantage that one can delegate
privileged tasks without having to share roots password. It also saves
you from having to authenticate two times.

Yes user_u is for users that should never be able to do privileged
tasks.

Staff_u can domain transition to more permissive user domains.