Re: Question about su

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 16:50 +0800, Dennis Wronka wrote:
> What use is su if a normal user after running su is still user_u:user_r:user_t
> and thus has no permissions to do stuff?

user_t is an unprivileged user domain.

> Sure, he's root, but as because of SELinux that alone isn't worth much, as
> being user_u still limits the user's options pretty much.

user_t should not use root. user_t is confined to this domain. It is not
designed to "user" domain transition.

> Is there anything I misunderstand here? I don't think there should be an
> automtic transition from user_r to sysadm_r, and newrole-ing this doesn't work
> as user_u doesn't have the sysadmin-role.

staff_t is the domain that can use root by first running newrole -r
sysadm_r and then su.

> So, what the heck is the use of su on a SELinux-system?

It works but just not for user_t. Map users that should be able to
"user" domain transition to privileged roles to the staff_u SELinux user
group.

hth ,Dominick