Re: releasibility in mcstransd

On Jun 20, 2008, at 1:26 PM, Joshua Brindle wrote:

Joe Nall wrote:

On Jun 20, 2008, at 10:37 AM, Joshua Brindle wrote:

Joe Nall wrote:

Attached is a source rpm based on the mcstransd we are using internally.
It can translate ranges that look like:

Thanks for this. I started looking at the diff and it is pretty
significant, it might take me a while to get through it all. One thing
I noticed immediately is that you are duplicating interfaces present
in libsepol such as mls_level_to_string, mls_level_from_string and
importing private headers from libsepol.

IIRC, the functions were not exported. I'm more than willing to drop
those routines and use libsepol.

I don't think we want to proceed this way. If possible we should be
using the libsepol interfaces and encapsulating the private types as
necessary.

I agree

Stephen: What do you think we should do about this? We've talked about losing some of the encapsulation in libsepol but that was related to policydb. Should we just export the mls types for now and use those or continue by making them opaque? Since this mcstrans does alot of operations on them it might make making them opaque difficult. We could probably move alot of the functionality out of mcstrans and in to libsepol but that would be coupling our libs to this particular translation scheme which I thought we were trying to avoid?

The ebitmap operations can certainly be put in libsepol but shouldn't
be called directly the way they are.

I like to putting the additional ebitmap functions in libsepol. I was
hoping Stephen would make them faster too :) I don't understand the
'shouldn't be called directly the way they are' comment.

ebitmaps aren't exported so you'd never actually have an unencapsulated one in the application.

FWIW, we do a fair amount of application level category bit twiddling beyond what mcstrans does. Having interfaces that allow access to the bits is a good thing. Our needs may not be representative :)

joe