Re: SELinux Bootstrap - without chroot

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 09:52 -0400, Vikram Ambrose wrote:
> Stephen Smalley wrote:

> >> I am getting a bit confused between "modular" and "monolithic", in both
> >> cases a policy.X file is needed to load the policy into the kernel, right?
> >>
> >> and in the modular case, the policy.X file simply points to the various
> >> .pp files and in the monolithic case everything is in the policy.X file?
> >> Analogous to shared library and static library link (modular/monolithic)?
> >>

> > In either case, we ultimately need a complete policy.N file that
> > contains all of the information for loading into the kernel.  The kernel
> > only knows about the policy.N format; it knows nothing of policy
> > modules.
> >
> > The difference is whether we need to compile a complete set of policy
> > sources directly into the policy.N file, or whether we can separately
> > compile and package each policy module into a .pp file and then later
> > link and expand the set of installed policy modules to create a policy.N
> > file.
> >
> > The modular policy support was introduced later (first appeared in
> > Fedora Core 5), to allow for local customization of policy without
> > requiring complete policy sources and to enable third party policy and
> > decomposition of distribution policy among the packages.
> >
> > In a monolithic policy build, you take the entire set of policy sources,
> > apply various preprocessing steps, combine the result into a single
> > policy.conf file, and then feed that to the checkpolicy program to
> > generate the policy.N file for the kernel.  And you likewise preprocess
> > and combine the .fc files to form the complete file_contexts
> > configuration.  Later if you want to add more policy, you drop it into
> > the policy source tree and repeat the entire process.
> >
> > In the modular policy build, you take each policy module's sources (.te
> > file), apply various preprocessing steps, feed the result to the
> > checkmodule program to generate a binary module (.mod) file, then feed
> > the .mod file and the .fc file to semodule_package to generate the
> > policy package (.pp) file.  Then you ship the .pp files to the target
> > host, run semodule to insert them into the policy module store, link
> > them together, and expand them into a policy.N file on that host.  Later
> > if you want to add more policy, you compile it as a module separately,
> > ship the resulting .pp file to the target host, and then run semodule on
> > it, which will add it to the policy store and generate an updated
> > policy.N file.
> >

> hmm, that somewhat explains it, but the terminology used across man
> pages and the internet doesn't seem to be consistent so it's a bit
> difficult to understand whats what.
> So to avoid semodule's affinity for /etc/selinux i can get  away with
> semodule_link and semodule_expand?
> I don't understand what the output of each command is. I did a
> semodule_link of all my .pp files and then did a senodule_expand of that
> file into another file, and then cat'ed that into /selinux/load and i
> [...]

You can do that, but I'm still not clear on why you are doing it.  It
seems like you should be doing one of the following instead:
1) run semodule on the target system to install the .pp files and load
the resulting policy rather than trying to do it all on the build host,
-or-
2) run semodule within a chroot on the build system to install the .pp
files and create the kernel policy.  Eric Paris has been getting such
builds to work for Fedora live CD creation.
-or-
3) perform a monolithic policy build in the first place and thus avoid
the entire indirection of modules and semodule in the first place.

Also, you said you didn't want to load the policy on the build host so
I'm not sure why you are trying to do that. The reason that it is
failing is not that the policy is invalid but because the cat program
writes it in fixed size chunks rather than atomically in one write call,
and /selinux/load requires that the entire policy be fed to it in a
single write call.  The load_policy program does this by opening the
policy file, fstat'ing it to get the size, mmap'ing it into memory, and
then write'ing the entire memory region to /selinux/load in a single
write() call.  You can see that logic in libselinux/src/load_policy.c;
it was once directly implemented in the load_policy program but later
moved into the library and further encapsulated.

semodule_link/expand are developer tools for manually applying the link
+expand phases, and thus will operate on whatever inputs you provide
rather than only operating on a policy store under /etc/selinux.

The kernel doesn't care where the policy originates; it is only
userspace that has the convention that it lives under /etc/selinux.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency