Re: libsemanage.semanage_install_active: error during semodule -n -v -b base.pp -s refpolicy

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 16:16 -0400, Vikram Ambrose wrote:
> Stephen Smalley wrote:

> >> understood. however the scope of the application's capabilities are
> >> limited by the user's unix permissions right? ie a regular user can make
> >> his own policy and store it in his home directory, maybe even with a
> >> hacked version of semodule, but at the end of the day the policy cannot
> >> be put into kernel memory by a regular user. Well thats how i understand
> >> it as.
> >>

> > We don't necessarily want the process (in this case your shell) that
> > invoked semodule to be able to arrange conditions to trick libsemanage
> > into executing a different helper of its choosing or to pass environment
> > settings to that helper that would enable the calling process to
> > control/influence it.  Not so critical for setfiles per se, as that is
> > only doing a validity check on the file_contexts configuration, but more
> > of a concern for the optional policy checkers/verifiers that can be
> > enabled via semanage.conf.
> >

> The helper applications dont read environment variables, do they?
> And however misconfigure the userspace tool maybe kernel security is in
> place to protect the system.
>
> Yes we "open the door" to the environment, but the tools executed by
> libsemanage dont do any harm, unless run as super user. but if you cant
> trust super-user then who can you trust?
>
> Or maybe i just dont understand, Could you perhaps give a use case of
> how using execvp to allow the helper app to access the environment is a
> security risk?

See for example:
http://www.dwheeler.com/secure-programs/Secure-Programs-HOWTO/environment-variables.html

It isn't merely about explicit access of the environment by a helper
application, but rather the automatic use of environment settings by the
dynamic linker and by glibc in a way that affects security.  If a less
trusted caller is permitted to invoke semodule and can control the path
by which helpers it executes runs or the dynamic loader search path or
preload settings, then it can redirect execution to code of its
choosing.

Your comment about the superuser being trusted is missing the point; one
of the features of SELinux is the ability to limit each process/program
to least privilege whether superuser or not.

> > Now, it is true that in a normal configuration, semodule and the helpers
> > run in their own domains, and thus the glibc sanitization of the
> > environment upon a domain transition should suffice.  In your case I
> > presume this doesn't happen because you are installing semodule and the
> > helpers to a private directory and they are not being labeled with their
> > own executable type as a result.
> >
> > However, it seems contrary to secure programming practice to open the
> > door unnecessarily, and I'm not sure it is even necessary in your case.
> > It sounds like all you really need/want is a way to suppress running of
> > setfiles altogether.  That shouldn't be hard.
> >

> During the semodule -b -s command, the need to run setfiles is for what?
> Perhaps like you said i can just short that out altogether. i only need
> the build/install functionality of semodule, setting file contexts and
> calling execve.

The execution of setfiles by libsemanage is merely to check the validity
of the file_contexts file against the policy.

You can effectively disable the use of setfiles there just by putting
the following in your /etc/selinux/semanage.conf file:
[setfiles]
path = /bin/true
[end]

No patching required then.