Re: libsemanage.semanage_install_active: error during semodule -n -v -b base.pp -s refpolicy

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 15:11 -0400, Vikram Ambrose wrote:
> Joshua Brindle wrote:
> > Vikram Ambrose wrote:

> >> I added extern char **environ, and passed in environ to execve,  i also
> >> added some printfs to see what was being passed into setfiles...
> >>
> >> root@ubuntu:/home/vikram/refpolicy-ac# semodule -b
> >> /usr/share/selinux/refpolicy/base.pp -s refpolicy -v
> >> Attempting to install base module '/usr/share/selinux/refpolicy/base.pp':
> >> Ok: return value of 0.
> >> Committing changes:
> >> e->path=/home/vikram/root/bin/setfiles
> >> arg[0] = /home/vikram/root/bin/setfiles
> >> arg[1] = (null)
> >> usage:  /home/vikram/root/bin/setfiles [-dnpqvW] [-o filename] [-r
> >> alt_root_path ] spec_file pathname...
> >> usage:  /home/vikram/root/bin/setfiles -c policyfile spec_file
> >> usage:  /home/vikram/root/bin/setfiles -s [-dnqvW] [-o filename ] spec_file
> >> libsemanage.semanage_install_active: setfiles returned error code 1.
> >>
> >> Why is setfiles being passed no arguments?
> >>

> > you need to add:
> >
> > args = -q -c $@ $<
> >
> > to the setfiles block in semanage.conf
> >

> could execve be changed to execvp? this way a hard coded path is not
> necessary.
> I can write a patch?

But then the caller can influence the path and the environment.
And that presumes that setfiles and load_policy will always be in the
path of the caller of libsemanage.

You can certainly patch your local copy of it.   Or run it in a chroot.
Not clear what the argument is for making it an upstream change.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency