Re: question about security

On Saturday 31 May 2008 10:34, "Justin Mattock" <justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> would this have been a better outcome.  As for what happened at
> comcast, I really don't know, I just don't like hearing story's like
> that, The positive side is the hackers exposed holes which can then be
> fixed, but in this case the hackers exposed the holes, they just chose
> to ignore them,(if this is the case) causing a more of a wakeup call
> later in time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcast
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Comcast&oldid=216058661

According to the above page (I give the URLs for the latest page and the
specific version that I cite) the comcast hack was based on "gained control
of Comcast's domain management console at Network Solutions".

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/05/comcast-hijacke.html

The Wikipedia page cites the above Wired article which says "the pair used a
combination of social engineering and a technical hack to get into Comcast's
domain management console at Network Solutions. They declined to detail their
technique, but said it relied on a flaw at the Virginia-based domain
registrar".

Sufficiently advanced/dedicated/lucky social engineering can get through
almost any defence.  A majority of such attacks involve tricking someone into
giving away their password.

It is claimed that there is a flaw with Network Solutions software but no
evidence is presented.  If the claim is correct then there would be nothing
that Comcast could have done in software as the problem would be some
combination of Comcast people and procedures combined with NetSol software.

Web Apps are a problem area.  One question I have been asked a few times is
about how to use SE Linux to secure a Web App that does something important.
The question often is effectively "how can I make a program which is designed
for the specific purpose of managing sensitive data not have the ability to
mis-manage it".  The answer is that if you have multiple sets of data that
you want to keep separate then you can do it, but if you have it all together
then there's not much that can be done.

I do however have some ideas for ways that it might be possible to use SE
Linux to improve the security of Wordpress, I'll have to blog about that.
But first I want to get a proof of concept.  I expect that like most people
the Wordpress developers aren't enthusiastic about suggestions like "here's a
way that you could do a heap of work to solve something that you might not
even consider to be a bug, I'm not even sure it'll work but I'll tell you
anyway".

Finally one lesson that can be learned from Comcast is that if some data which
is important to your operation unexpectedly gets changed to include profanity
then you need to take it as proof of a serious problem which requires
immediate action.  Also if someone who has no good reason to know your job
calls you at home to discuss it then you should listen to what they have to
say - once they have demonstrated that they have access to secret data you
have to assume that there is more and you need to know what it is.

--
russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Blog

http://www.coker.com.au/sponsorship.html Sponsoring Free Software development