Re: question about security

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Charles, Theodore <txc5810@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From what I've read, there was an exploit in the way Comcast registers and updates its DNS records with the domain registar (I've already forgotten the name). And, it was this exploit that the "hackers" reported to Comcast, but Comcast ignored. Regardless, this is not a question of whether or not Comcast should be using SELinux or UNIX or Windows Server 2008 or <insert OS here>. This is a question of properly secured methods of communication between two computers on the Internet. I don't think that's applicable to SELinux in the general sense, because most policies deal with objects interacting with the local machine. I would suspect this is more applicable to something like ipfw / iptables / netfilter and possibly their interaction with the SELinux policies. If you really wanted to prevent anyone from connecting to your computer (and making it practically unusable), you could try something like this:
>
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -J DROP (not tested)
>
> But then you'd pretty much have an unusable internet connected machine (well, technically, you'd still be able to connect out, but diagnosing network problems might be a pain). If I am wrong, please bring it to my attention. :)
>
> Last I noticed, Comcast is in fact back up, but I'm sure they're holding their tale between their legs, and let's hope this does not happen again.

It sounds like a nice idea, but if there will be problems connecting,
and so forth then I'll pass, I was just wondering if they were using
SELinux
would this have been a better outcome.  As for what happened at
comcast, I really don't know, I just don't like hearing story's like
that, The positive side is the hackers exposed holes which can then be
fixed, but in this case the hackers exposed the holes, they just chose
to ignore them,(if this is the case) causing a more of a wakeup call
later in time.
regards;

--
Justin P. Mattock