Re: rbacsep: collapsing xserver

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Christopher J. PeBenito
<cpebenito@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 08:19 -0500, Xavier Toth wrote:
>> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > The current XAce software is far to complex to do anything usefull in my
>> > opinion.  We have way too many types and transitions.  We need to
>> > simplify down to a lot less types.
>>
>> Going back to Dan's concern about the complexity of the X SELinux
>> extension and the number of types and transitions I'd like to see some
>> discussion/resolution. Eamon what's your position on this topic?
>
> I don't want to speak for Eamon, but I suspect that he would defend the
> current setup since he's the one that wrote the policy.  I just
> restructured it to fit nicer in refpolicy and actually removed a few
> types :)
>
> My position is that its fine as is.  Simplifying it unconditionally
> starts to make it less usable for people that actually want fine grained
> controls on the desktop.  Making things simpler tends to be easy, since
> it tends to be merging types or using attributes for blanket access,
> like unconfined does.  The black magic voodoo that happens in the
> xserver, that only a select few have previously known about, has only
> recently been exposed via the SELinux controls.  I feel that it may be
> premature to simplify the policy, since side effects probably aren't
> well understood yet.  At least they aren't understood well by me yet.

I can relate to that :)

Voodoo note: Any post-login setuid magic will have to allow the
xserver object manager to continue to audit.

I chimed in on this thread because we need to get MLS X up and running
locally in enforcing mode. I wanted to make sure that we (Ted and I)
understood the issues involved as much as possible before changing any
policy.

joe