Re: X avcs

Ted X Toth wrote:
I'll look at implementing a dixPropertyLookup function. Do any other XACE hooks have value-return parameters, would it just be va_arg(ap, PropertyPtr*)?

No and yes, respectively.

What about the idea of an exception list of single-instance root-window properties?

I'm examining the type_member policy statement to determine how we can use it to provide this information. type_member was intented to support polyinstantiation but it's mls semantics have not been defined yet.

With respect to the root window drawable, it is protected at the lowest label, so it is never modified. Applications like Nautilus are polyinstantiated, too, and render their own background windows.

Our implementation is all open-sourced using the Xorg license. A summary of the X11 security policy implemented by Solaris Trusted Extensions is described in Chapter 6 of the Developer's Guide, http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-0869/6n391u3ru?a=view

The configuration file for the polyinstantiation policy is described in the TrustedExtensionsPolicy man page, http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-7307/trustedextensionspolicy-4?a=view

The source code which implements this policy can be viewed in the OpenSolaris browser using this link: http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/fox/fox-gate/XW_NV/open-src/xserver/xorg/sun-src/tsol/

The hooks to the XACE extension layer (also used by SELinux) are in the file tsolCompat.c, which can be viewed here: http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/fox/fox-gate/XW_NV/open-src/xserver/xorg/sun-src/Xext/tsolCompat.c

Although Trusted Extensions and SELinux have significant differences with respect to their security models, both systems attempt to implement MAC policy in a manner that is transparent to applications. This should apply to the desktop, as well. In general, the user experience running GNOME on Solaris (with or without Trusted Extensions) or on Linux (with or without SELinux) should be almost identical. So the underlying policies enforced by the X11 server should follow the same general principles.
Our long-term goal is to make applications aware of and responsive to the security environment, particularly applications that could themselves be multi-level such as e-mail, web, office.

Eamon Walsh <ewalsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
National Security Agency