Re: X avcs

Glenn Faden wrote:
This is my first posting to this alias, so let me start by introducing myself. I'm a Distinguished Engineer in the Solaris security organization, and I'm the original architect for Sun's multilevel X11 server. I have worked on this problem since 1990, and have designed three multilevel desktops (Open Look, CDE, and GNOME)

One of the biggest challenges in adding fine-grained policy to the X11 server is to make the policy transparent to existing X11 clients. Probably the most critical design decision we made was with respect to root window resources. By default, all root window properties are polyinstantiated by both label and uid. For SELinux, the equivalent policy would be polyinstantiation by security context (not just MLS label). An exception list of single-instance root-window properties is enumerated in a policy file. We have found that the list of exceptions is much smaller than the list that should be polyinstantiated.

Hello. I am not opposed to the idea of polyinstantiated properties. Although our approach has always been to attempt to fix applications to work within the secure environment first, it looks like this is a case where polyinstantiated is needed.

My first thought on the implementation is that a value-return parameter could be added to the PROPERTY_ACCESS hook so that security modules can return the actual PropertyPtr object they wish to be used. The FindProperty function would then have to be upgraded to a general lookup function similar to dixLookupResource(), dixLookupDrawable(), etc. and the property code would have to be refactored to use it everywhere when looking up a property. The semantics of the various property requests, in particular RotateProperties, might make this a little more difficult.

SELinux has a security_compute_member() interface that is intended to return the security context of the appropriate object for use, and this can be used to determine which object to return.

With respect to the root window drawable, it is protected at the lowest label, so it is never modified. Applications like Nautilus are polyinstantiated, too, and render their own background windows.

Our implementation is all open-sourced using the Xorg license. A summary of the X11 security policy implemented by Solaris Trusted Extensions is described in Chapter 6 of the Developer's Guide, http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-0869/6n391u3ru?a=view

The configuration file for the polyinstantiation policy is described in the TrustedExtensionsPolicy man page, http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-7307/trustedextensionspolicy-4?a=view

The source code which implements this policy can be viewed in the OpenSolaris browser using this link:
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/fox/fox-gate/XW_NV/open-src/xserver/xorg/sun-src/tsol/

The hooks to the XACE extension layer (also used by SELinux) are in the file tsolCompat.c, which can be viewed here:
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/fox/fox-gate/XW_NV/open-src/xserver/xorg/sun-src/Xext/tsolCompat.c

Although Trusted Extensions and SELinux have significant differences with respect to their security models, both systems attempt to implement MAC policy in a manner that is transparent to applications. This should apply to the desktop, as well. In general, the user experience running GNOME on Solaris (with or without Trusted Extensions) or on Linux (with or without SELinux) should be almost identical. So the underlying policies enforced by the X11 server should follow the same general principles.

Our long-term goal is to make applications aware of and responsive to the security environment, particularly applications that could themselves be multi-level such as e-mail, web, office.

--
Eamon Walsh <ewalsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
National Security Agency