Re: identifying security vulnerabilities on inherited system

RCS Computers wrote:

Hi,

I recently took over programming for a semi-large web site. They are currently using a web-design / hosting company to manage their server. They are running RH 7.3 and it looks like the system has not been updated in quite some time. Can you tell me how I might take the version numbers of the things listed below and find out if there are any security vulnerabilities.

I realize that I could just update anyway, but I am going to have to prove that the current set up is a security risk. Thank you in advance.

The following ports are open on this web server:

pop3
imap
http
ftp
ssh
smtp
https

I am not really familiar with ip chains, but this looks like everything is accepted:

Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
target prot opt source destination ports
ACCEPT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any -> ssh
ACCEPT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any -> smtp
ACCEPT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any -> http
ACCEPT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any -> ftp
ACCEPT all ------ anywhere anywhere n/a
ACCEPT all ------ anywhere anywhere n/a
ACCEPT udp ------ ns.bluegrass.net anywhere domain -> any
REJECT tcp -y---- anywhere anywhere any -> any
REJECT udp ------ anywhere anywhere any -> any
Chain forward (policy ACCEPT):
Chain output (policy ACCEPT):

Here are the versions of pertinent programs:

Distro: RH 7.3
Kernel: 2.4.18-3
Apache: 1.3.28
NcFTP 3.1.3/985
OpenSSH_3.1p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090602f
Postfix: 1.1.12
ipopd: not sure how to find out
imapd: not sure how to find out

Make your life easy with apt-get.

You will need at some point move to a distribution that you can keep current. Slackware, Debian, etc.... It will take some time to put together a migration plan but for for that but for now go to "http://apt.freshrpms.net/"; download and install the apt-get rpm for 7.3 RedHat. Read the documentation and get your system current. I keep one of my systems at 7.3 and used apt-get to bring it to the latest rpms available. Which by the way are not as current as they could be but better than what you have instlled at present. APT-GET will resolve all dependencies and upgrade your system automagically. Make sure that you do run apt-get update before you do an upgrade or install and make sure the apt-getrc, or on a RedHat 7.3 system it is /etc/apt/sources.lst file has the correct source for your distribution. If you are not sure let me know and I will post a copy of mine to you.

gvt