Re: Web bug

Hi Jean-Francois,

Thanks for your explanation.

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, rj3 Jean-Francois RODRIGUEZ wrote:

> > Hi All,
> >
> > Can some body explain the following:
> >
> > 1) Can a Web Bug (i.e., display of an image file from a third
> >   party web site) be a security problem?
>
> I don't know about it.
>
> > 2) Does it cause a cookie to be sent from the browser to that
> >   third party web site?
>
> About that, yes, it is used by advertisers to get cookies when you visit a
> website where they have put (paying $$) such an image.
> When your browser download this image, it must make a connection to the
> advertiser's website where this image comes from, and so they can ask to
> your browser to accept a cookie.By this way, this third party web site can

By "accept a cookie" you mean "return (or send) a cookie"?

I thought the browser already got the cookie (some where and some how>.

> put and read cookies that your
> browser have accepted visiting different web sites, because they all come
> from the same advertiser's web site (and so they can gather different
> information about you : what kind of sites you are usual to visit, so what
> are your interests...).

1) So, by returning a cookie (because of connection via the web bug)
   this third party will know that I had visited a particular site?

2) What if I had visited multiple sites? Can this one cookie tell
   this third party web site what sites I had visited?

   Or do I (i.e., my browser) send more than one cookies?

Any way, very interesting!

> I must have learned all that here : www.searchlores.org

I'll visit this site.

Thank you!