Re: Web bug

1) First off, I would not see displaying an image as a "bug" but displaying an image can be a security issue if there is a flaw in the web browser's code and someone constructs an image that takes advantage of the flaw. Similarly, there was an issue a little while ago with a Linux MP3 player and a couple of mangled MP3s floating around on some file sharing programs that would perform some remote code execution (I guess it was a buffer overflow) if you played the MP3...not exactly related but the it shows the possibility is there.

2) Unless you take into consideration what I said above, I doubt displaying an image sent a cookie unless the img tag contained a link to a dynamically generated image (which requested it) or a link to one of those web tracking/advertising companies like DoubleClick. If it was the case of a tracking /ad company then they could possibly be looking for some hints to your surfing habits. Also by third party I assume you mean a company.