Re: Web bug

Well, about the cookies, for what I know :

The cookies are pieces of text, written by the server on the client
machine, if the browser accept them. For instance, Nescape, on Linux,
write them here :~/.netscape/cookies
where they appear as lines of this text file.

Then, normally, only the server who has written a cookie can read it ( or
modify it ) when you connect again to the same server.
Now, what happens when you download an image that you call Web Bug (I
didn't know this name, and I find it nice ;) :- your browser meet a href to this image,
- then, it must ask for a connection to the third party server where the
image is on,- whith this connection, this server can ask to your browser if it accept
a cookie to be written on your disk,- if your browser accepts, the cookie is written (first read and then
written, if it already exists) on your machine.
And the hint used to gather some information such as your browsing habits
is that a server, as DoubleClick for instance, put href to Web Bugs on
different web sites (paying their owners, of course !). So, when you visit
these sites, it is always the same web server (doubleclick.com) that reads
and writes the same cookie (it reads and writes on the same line beginning
with 'www.doubleclick.com' on netscape/linux) ; and the data written when
you are visiting a web site can contain the IP of the page you are
visiting...
As a cookie can be identified by its server/owner, this server can link
all the data brought by this cookie to one person.It doesn't matter if they don't have your name and address, what they want
is consuming habits of persons, in order to make categories of web
consumers...
Well, quite a long explanation, but this is what I have understood about
cookies and the "bad usage" of these tools !
If anything is wrong, please correct me.

Bye
Jean-François