RE: Port Scan Question (kinda urgent)

Since someone has already answered the ipchains drop/reject issue, I'll
take a stab at the potential root kit problem.

Since this machine is in an unknown state here is what I would do:
1: From a trusted clean RH7.0 system (same version your friend is
running), copy the "md5sum" and/or "sum" to a floppy diskette.
2: Run "md5sum /sbin/* /usr/sbin/* /bin/* /usr/bin/*" and/or "sum
/sbin/* /usr/sbin/* /bin/* /usr/bin/*" and redirect the output to a file
such as "good.sums.txt" and copy that file to the floppy diskette.
3: Remove the diskette from the floppy drive and write-protect it.
4: Put the diskette into the "suspicious" system and copy all the files
to /tmp.
5: Now, using /tmp/md5sum or /tmp/sum, check each file in /sbin,
/usr/sbin, /bin, and /usr/bin verifying their checksums with those in
the "good.sums.txt" file generated by the clean machine.

This isn't a perfect solution since the md5sum and sum will use the
libraries off of the infected machine.  The most common programs to
become infected when a system is root-ed are find, ls, ps, top, netstat,
bash, sh, csh, echo, md5sum, sum, diff, etc.

A system I once worked on was rooted and the netstat command was
compromised.  When the bad netstat command was run, it did not show the
ports it was listening on.  When the bad ps and ls commands were run,
they didn't show the back-door processes in memory, nor the special
directory names it had them hidden under.  A good check is to run the
"bad" netstat   saving it's output to a file, then copy the good netstat
from the clean server and run the clean netstat saving it's output to
another file.  Then run diff on the two files to see if there is any
differences you can't account for.  This was my first tip.

You could also run "rpm -Va" to check the RPM md5-signature against the
md5-signature of the binary on disk.  I would suppose that the root-kit
writers will start taking this into account and mucking with the rpm
database to cover their tracks soon... :(

Dan