Re: wine and security

The "-" option in su will treat the su like a login so it will go through
the appropriate login gestures for whatever user (not just root) that
you're switching to.  This probably also includes changing shells (if
appropriate) though I'm not sure.

As to the wine virus thing ... I'm not sure how susceptible the wine
libraries are to any of the exploits used by sophisticated windos viruses
(not just emailed vb scripts) but I don't think they would be since they
implement compatibilty but are actually an entirely seperate code base
(thogh they do intentionally replicate some bugs ;->).  In either case,
the virus will not be able to affect your linux system unless you're
running wine as root and have your entire linux filesystem visible inside
your fake dos filesystem -- even then the effects are more likely to be
random overwriting of files than anything serious.  In short, you would
have to actively conspire to make a windows vb virus run in an emulator
seriously affect your system (at least as far as I know).

Sheer