Re: Name space leakage

lasm.rm wrote:
> Long ago there was a discussion about name space leaking in script-fu.
> Seems like variables and functions names in a script are visible
> globally, causing potential name collision with other scripts out
> there.
>
> Is this going to be the same with tiny-fu, or is there some
> enhancement to contain the name within the script itself ?

The SIOD interpreter used in Script-Fu allows local variables to be accessed
globally. The interepreter used in Tiny-Fu doesn't have that problem. Local
variables are only accessible locally.

The current design of Script-Fu and Tiny-Fu is such that all available scripts
are read in to memory when the plug-in starts. A public function defined in
one file will be available to be called from any other file.

If two or more files contain public function(s) with the same name but
different code, there will be a problem. The last version of a public function
read in during startup will be the version of the function that will be seen
by scripts at run time.

All functions defined in a file should be made private unless you know they
will be needed by another script. This will prevent one script from breaking
when a new script is added or another script is changed.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.interlog.com/~kcozens/ |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172        |"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus:

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/e4wwlB/TM