MySQL upgrade

Hello, everyone.

After reading of the recently discovered security vulnerabilities in
MySQL, I downloaded the mysql-3.23.54a-3.72.src.rpm and built the s390
binaries myself. I installed the mysql, mysql-server and mysql-devel
rpms and attempted to restart the service. Unfortunately, the service
would fail on stop, claim to succeed on start and not work at all. A
"service mysqld status" returned "mysqld dead but subsys locked" and the
mysqld.log had an entry stating:

"mysqld started
bdb:  architecture lacks fast mutexes: applications cannot be threaded
Can't init databases
mysqld ended"

After googling for the answer, I saw similar threads concerning other
non-Intel architectures and lack of support for bdb tables. I could
successfully start mysqld by running it from the command line with the
--skip-bdb, but I have no idea what problems that may cause. For the
moment at least, I decided to backlevel to mysql-3.23.41-1a.

What's strange is that I built 3.23.41-1a from a src rpm when a previous
version of mysql had a security issue and experienced no problems with
it.  Which brings me to my questions:

1)How can I build the latest mysql without encountering these errors

2)How often can I expect such problems when building from source rpms?
Considering the moribund pace that RH releases binary packages for the
s390 at, this is an important consideration.

Michael Lambert