Re: MySQL upgrade

./configure --disable-bdb

> <snip />
> 1)How can I build the latest mysql without encountering these errors

./configure --disable-bdb

Since this is a configure option, the developers must have thought about
it, so I would expect that it wouldn't remove any functionality, it would
just change how things are done internally and possibly 'narrow' the
possibilities from outside (like queuing db transactions instead of
multithreading them).

Instead of just doing a 'rpm -bb mysql.spec', you'll have to do the
gunziping, patching, ./configure, make, make install by hand.

> 2)How often can I expect such problems when building from source rpms?
> Considering the moribund pace that RH releases binary packages for the
> s390 at, this is an important consideration.

Depends on how clean and tidy your installation is, src RPMs are very
specific about things and their versions in order to make sure that the
best quality binary RPMs get built.

I've never had any trouble with building binary s390 openssh RPMs (for
example) ... be grateful you were able to get this far, and didn't just
get a Seg Fault every now and then.

Hope this helps.

Ashley Chaloner.
University Of Warwick, UK.