The last Linux distribution I installed was my firstinstallation on an i686 platform, and it alread

The last Linux distribution I installed was my first installation on an i686 platform, and it already had MySQL installed. This time I am trying to build up a RH Linux s390 OS on a virtual Machine. So far, I have managed to install Webmin and start Samba ok. Furthermore, I was able to tar the following download file:

mysql-3.23.53-unknown-linux-gnu-s390.tar.gz

There were many download choices for MySQL on the mysql.com site, but this one had s390 in its name and so I went for it. I noticed a configure program was present, so I launched it. Everything seemed ok until I noticed the last line. Here were what appears to be the pertinant results:

[root@cofr3 mysql-3.23.53-unknown-linux-gnu-s390]# ./configure
NOTE: This is a MySQL binary distribution. It's ready to run, you don't
need to configure it!

To help you a bit, I am now going to create the needed MySQL databases
and start the MySQL server for you.  If you run into any trouble, please
consult the MySQL manual, that you can find in the Docs directory.

Preparing db table
Preparing host table
Preparing user table
Preparing func table
Preparing tables_priv table
Preparing columns_priv table
Installing all prepared tables
021121 12:29:29  ./bin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

Now, try as I may, I could not start the MySQL daemon:

[root@cofr3 mysql-3.23.53-unknown-linux-gnu-s390]# ./bin/safe_mysqld &
[1] 1312
[root@cofr3 mysql-3.23.53-unknown-linux-gnu-s390]# chown: `mysql': invalid user
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /downloads/mysql/mysql-3.23.53-unknow
n-linux-gnu-s390/data
021121 14:30:09  mysqld ended

And, here is how I tried to deal with the invalid user message:

[root@cofr3 mysql-3.23.53-unknown-linux-gnu-s390]# ./bin/mysqladmin -u root  pa
ssword cofrvm
./bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2
'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!

This may be a question for a MySQL newsgroup, but I thought I would start here because VM may still be an issue. Anyone care to offer any direction?

Thank you.

Regards,
Ken Illingsworth