Webmin

I just had a linux vm machine configured by our system programmers running RH v7.2, and decided to try and install Webmin. My problem is that after I have SFTP'd webmin-1.020.tar.gz to the server, the following command hangs evey time:

tar -xzvf webmin-1.020.tar.gz

To make matters worse, I tried to launch setup.sh anyway, and got a non-working webmin (totally blank home page). So, I could stand some direction on how to remove this flawed webmin installation.

The same anomaly occurs when I try to tarball mysql-3.23.53-unknown-linux-gnu-s390.tar.gz . At least on this one I refrained from any setup. This really makes it tough to install programs.

Naturally, I want to blame our system programers for incorrectly setting up the Linux VM. Especially since this never happened when I tarballed files on PC's that I configured running various Linux distributions. However, I thought I would check here first since RH seems to march to the beat of a different drummer. Are there alternative installation techniques that I should consider with this OS?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,
Ken Illingsworth