Re: [Redhat-s390-list] Redhat demo

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 02:08:09AM -0500, Post, Mark K wrote:
> Dave,
>
> If they've posted the GA code on their FTP server, it should be available
> for download by anyone.  The fact that they don't have .iso images isn't
> particularly relevant or important.  I have not previously heard anything
> about Red Hat requiring that they do an installation.  Perhaps that is only
> if you want to purchase a support contract from them.  Even so, that would
> not prevent you from doing your own installs on another image/system.  They
> just wouldn't be willing to support those installations.  Still, if you get
> a definite answer, I'd be interested in hearing what it is.  Stuff like this
> is important, and I would like to make sure it gets on the linuxvm.org web
> site.

Hello Mark Post,

your summary is correct and I'll add some personal comments:

Red Hat Linux is Open Source and can be downloaded from our ftp-server.
If you buy the product from Red Hat, this is only available together with
a support contract where Red Hat helps with the installation as well as
later on supporting it if you discover defects.

Not only the last release is available as Open Source from Red Hat, but also
newer developments are uploaded as "rawhide" versions to ftp.redhat.com.
This allows the development community to try out our newest versions,
participate in development if they want to or just give us feedback about
the current status. This allows us to provide official bug-fixes and errata
updates for our last release as well as continuing high-speed development
of the next release.

In the case of s390 we are facing two areas that are still a bit more
under development:
- The kernel on s390 needs more stabilization.
- The install support for Red Hat Linux needs further improvements. Quite
  some good feedback has been given on our product and I think we already
  have implemented most of them.

We will try to come up with an official update for the kernel and also
install support. This should also allow a much easier addition of a
"driverdisk" that could allow a real easy way to add OCO modules
to Red Hat Linux.

cu,

Florian La Roche

Florian La Roche                 Tel.: +49-711-96437-460
head of development EMEA         Tel.: +49-172-6373899
Red Hat GmbH                     Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Hauptstaetterstr. 58             Email: Florian.LaRoche@redhat.de
D-70178 Stuttgart                http://www.redhat.de/