[Redhat-s390-list] OSA-Express not recognized with Beta kernel of Oct 4,2001 and IBM OCOmodules

We're trying to install the S/390 Linux beta iso images dated Oct 4 from
Red Hat's ftp site in an LPAR on a 9672-R35.  We're able to IPL the first
CD from the hardware management console and go through the dialog just
fine.  We're specifying the LCS driver so we can access our OSA-Express
interface (emulated ethernet) using its device number and the appropriate
IP address, netmask, broadcast, network, and gateway values.

We then get errors stating the device is not found:

 SIOCSIFADDR: No Such Device
 eth0: unknown interface: No Such Device
 SIOCSIFNETMASK: No Such Device
 SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No Such Device
 eth0: unknown interface: No Such Device
 SIOCADDRT: No Such Device
 SIOCADDRT: No Such Device

We're sure our values are correct since they work just fine when going
through the SuSE install using the same values.

We included the latest IBM OCO modules for LCS and QDIO/QETH into the
initrd and tapeinrd images per the docs and in fact can see them just fine
when we finally get to the "#" prompt.  We've also tried manually loading
the modules with insmod.  Either way an ifconfig only shows the lo device.
Eth0 doesn't exist.  Same symptoms if we try the QDIO/QETH modules with our
gigabit interface (which also works with our SuSE installation).

I guess my question is whether anyone has used an OSA-Express card (or
gigabit for that matter) successfully with the beta images.  Any
suggestions/comments/hurled stones are welcome.

Al Delaney

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora General Discussion]     [LKML]     [Red Hat Install]     [Red Hat Watch]     [Red Hat Development]     [Linux s390]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]