RE: [Redhat-s390-list] OSA/OSA-E Drivers in Red Hat Linux/390

As a long time GNU/Linux user, I applaud RedHat for standing up for Freedom.

I know Debian GNU/Linux would not allow these modules to be on the
installation
system for S/390, since they violate Debian's Social Contract. It's good to
see
RedHat stand up instead of "selling out" to proprietary software.

If IBM is serious about "Peace, Love and Linux" they will open up the
OSA/OSA-E
driver. It's one thing to see unrequired third party applications to run on
top of
Linux that are proprietary, it's quite another thing to make a kernel module
binary.

It's all about control, IBM doesn't want anyone to make an "IBM-compatible"
ethernet
adapter for the S/390.  Even though the technology of an 100Mbs Ethernet
adapter isn't
anything special, 100Mbs cards for PC's are in the range of $20-30.  How
much
does IBM charge for the OSA card?

Peace, Love and Linux? Yeah right.