Re: Meta question on the lists

On 03/18/2016 11:48 AM, otheus uibk wrote:
> I've subscribed to the lists associated with rpm.org <http://rpm.org>,
> but I could not find anywhere (obvious) the descriptions of the various
> lists. Specifically, rpm-maint and rpm-ecosystem. What's the difference
> between these two? What tools does the maint list pertain to?
> Which is the best to propose a set of changes to rpmbuild or the
> standard macros?

rpm-maint is about rpm development and maintenance. So it is the place
for posting patches, asking questions about the API, ... It is also the
place where all the github spam goes to.

rpm-ecosystem is a quite recently created list for discussing all
aspects that affect the whole stack of rpm based software management. So
while basically all rpm related topic fits there there is a special
emphasis on topics that span multiple tools or distros.

So changes to rpmbuild should probably go to rpm-maint while standard
macros may be better suited for one or the other depending a bit on the
macro and its scope.

If you are unsure just use your best judgement. We'll forward the
discussion to the proper list if it really makes too much of a difference.

Florian

Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
Michael O'Neill