[Q] Specified Provides version in rpm spec file

Hi RPM maintainers,

Here I have an issue I want to ask for your help.

What happend:
I'm now working on a linux side-by-side installation issue since rpm no longer support to install the 32-bit and 64-bit same name packages on a machine at the same time.

So I need to change the name of the 32-bit package from xxx.i386.rpm to xxx-32bit.i386.rpm.

For supporting the upgrade of this package, I should provide the old package name: xxx in the spec file.

Problem:
I've looked into the pages of rpm.org looking for whether we can specify the version which we provided in the spec file like:

%Provides: xxx = 16.0

I've done some test and it seems to work. But I can't find any offical explanation.
So do you know the properly behaviour if I specified the provides package version in the Provides.

Regards,

Fan Yang