RE: Install a file in different locations depending on environment

Contrariwise, I think #2 is an elegant solution, thanks!

I am wondering why the developers of RPM didn't apply the mechanism used by Solaris packaging that allows you to dynamically set file location based on target system environment.

From: rpm-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpm-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Greg Swift
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2014 11:31 PM
To: General discussion about the RPM package manager
Subject: Re: Install a file in different locations depending on environment

off top of my head i've got 2 methods....

1: Symlinking.  Put the war in a common space, like /usr/share/<app>/app.war and symlink based on the installed app (i don't think this is as pretty and requires potentially ugly logic)

2: Subpackaging.  Do a subpackage for each of the web servers that drops the package in their known directory pathing. (i guess you could argue there is some ugliness to this too)